Epicurean Market 2017, Part 1

Epicurean Market is an annual food fare made for the gourmand, the cook and, the glutton in you. This being my third year attending, and finally with a blog of my own, I've decided to firstly cover on what's there to dine and, my honest opinions on the food that's served there, in this two part blog post.

No. The car in the crowd isn't edible.

Hosted by Marina Bay Sands in Singapore, Epicurean Market is an event which has been going strong for the last 5 years. Usually, if not always, in the month of August, their three day event allows the people to be given a chance to sample a gastronomic delight of flavors from all of the participating restaurants under them (Marina Bay Sands). And at a very affordable price too.

Restaurants like Waku Ghin by Chef Tetsuya Wakuda, DB Bistro and Oyster Bar by Chef Daniel Boulud, Bread Street Kitchen by Chef Gordon Ramsay, and so many others have come to set up a stall just for you to indulge.

First thing I went for was DB Bistro's stall, which I'll be honest with you, was only because Waku Ghin had an insanely long queue!




I opted for the Short Rib Foie Gras & Truffle Slider (SGD $20) which made me a very happy person after sinking my teeth into it. The soft and juicy short ribs made eating it a little messy, but oh so very worth the twenty dollars. Just remember to grab a napkin.

Short Rib Foie Gras & Truffle Slider (SGD $20)

My girlfriend opted for their Epicurean Signature, which was a Lobster and Corn Chowder (SGD $15), I had a taste of it, and found the croutons in it to be the most fun part of the dish, as it crumbles in your mouth to leave a sweet crunch that blends with the chowder to make a fun and interesting dish.

Lobster and Corn Chowder (SGD $15)

As the queue for Waku Ghin continued to pile, we decided to head for the stall set up by RISE which was the buffet restaurant at Marina Bay Sands. 


For this particular stall, I went for the Lobster Tacos (SGD $10). Now if you didn't know this, I love my Tacos, I love them like Deadpool loves his Chimichangas (which come to think of it, I like alot too) but enough about that. The Lobster Taco had a bit of a soft taco shell which wasn't to my preference, but the Lobster tempura, avocado, crème fraîche, jalapeno and a touch of corriander made it enjoyable to eat. 

Lobster Tacos (SGD $10)

My girlfriend chose a Risotto (SGD $11). What's interesting about this "Risotto" was that instead of the usual Italian short grain rice, they had used an Israeli couscous instead, as a substitute. The couscous was then cooked with whole peel tomatoes, basil leaves and stirred in a small Parmesan cheese wheel. Watching them prepare it and stirring the "risotto" in that cheese wheel evoked memories of many Sundays at a certain buffet restaurant behind the pasta counter dealing with kids, old folks and more kids.
Taste wise, light, not too heavy and, honestly not too bad.

 Risotto (SGD $11)

Next up are two stalls 
1. Punjab Grill, which is by far, in my opinion the most underrated stall in Epicurean Market. There were so little people eating food from their stall, that it makes it quite sad to look at. But what we ordered was simply delicious. Their San Marzino Tomato Chicken in Masala Tomato Tart Shell (SGD $14) which comes in two pieces, was a delightful exotic dish that should be given a shot at in this event. I don't really like Indian food, but after eating this, I really felt like I should be trying more cuisine from north western India. 
2. Long Chim I go back for their Thai Milk Tea (SGD $4) every year. (because I'm too cheap to spend nine bucks for chicken wings or satay)


San Marzino Tomato Chicken in Masala Tomato Tart Shell (SGD $14)



*Insert Thai Milk Tea Picture here*
(I don't have it. Sorry)

We then decided to clear our palate and made our way to Sweetspot located at the Farmers Market which I'll be covering on more in the second part of this blog. Got ourselves a double scoop of Passionfruit & Mango Sorbet and Raspberry Sorbet priced at (SGD $7 Double scoop) (SGD $4 Single Scoop)


Gelato/Sorbet (SGD $7 Double scoop)


After a short break to digest, we decided it was time to pay the stall managed by Waku Ghin a visit.


Seeing me come to this event for the third year in a row, my old friend and former classmate, Chef Jason/Xie Feng, who has been working at Waku Ghin for quite some time now had offered to prepare our dishes, which are:

  1.  Grilled Ohmi Wagyu Beef with fresh Wasabi from Shizuoka (SGD $20)
  2.  Slow Cooked Wagyu Beef Cheek with Orecchiette and Tasmanian Dutch Cream Potato (SGD $18)
  3.  Scrambled Egg with Sea Urchin and Avruga Caviar (SGD $20)
  4. Poached Botan Shrimp with Compote of Egg and Oscietra Caviar (SGD $25)
All of which were amazing in their own way. The Grilled Ohmi Wagyu had some crispy garlic chips to go with it and what seems to be a shoyu and yuzu sago that keeps each slice of beef you put in your mouth as delicious as the last, never getting tired of the taste.

Grilled Ohmi Wagyu Beef with fresh Wasabi from Shizuoka (SGD $20)

The Slow Cooked Wagyu beef cheek was good, but in my opinion lay in the shadow of the Ohmi Wagyu we had. I really liked the Cream Potato that came with it.


Slow Cooked Wagyu Beef Cheek with Orecchiette and Tasmanian Dutch Cream Potato (SGD $18)

As for the Scrambled eggs with Sea urchin, I found it quite good with my first chomp, but got a bit too much to take in with each consecutive bite. 

Scrambled Egg with Sea Urchin and Avruga Caviar (SGD $20)

And lastly, Waku Ghin's signature Botan Shrimp. Which compared to the one I ate during my first visit three years ago, seemed better than I had remembered it to be. The Shrimp was nice and firm, and the helping of caviar was quite generous.

Poached Botan Shrimp with Compote of Egg and Oscietra Caviar (SGD $25)

Our final hot dishes for the evening was from the stall belonging to Mozza. Where I ordered a Garganelli Pasta with Ragu Bolognese (SGD $15) and my girlfriend ordered their Margherita Pizzette (SGD $10).


 Unfortunately, I found their pasta to be a disappointment, as their Garganelli was too hard to be considered al dente, and their Ragu Bolognese was too salty for my liking.
The Pizzette however was a delicious crispy crusted goodness, that I wouldn't mind coming back for again. 

 Garganelli Pasta with Ragu Bolognese (SGD $15)

Margherita Pizzette (SGD $10)

Finally, with only enough room for dessert, we had gone to the booth of yet another place under Waku Ghin, Platine Patisserie. Where we settled for a Matcha Opera (SGD $8), and a Yuzu Tarte (SGD $8).




I found the Yuzu Tarte my girlfriend ordered to be a more likable dessert, as it's citrus-y flavor made a good after meal dessert.
But the Matcha Opera is a go to for Matcha fans as it's not too sweet or rich, making it a delightful treat to enjoy.

Matcha Opera (SGD $8), & Yuzu Tarte (SGD $8)

**BONUS TOPIC & ADVICE** 

1.Don't order the 20 layer cake from Lavo unless you have 3 other people to share it with.

That colossal cake is definitely meant for sharing with a group. I shit you not I'm not joking here. You'll be sick to the stomach if you eat it last, and you'll have no room to eat anything else if you go for it at the start. (yes, people actually do that)

2. THE CAKE IS A LIE

The abovementioned 20 layer chocolate cake was more 10 layer chocolate and 10 layer smooth peanut butter or something. It's not too bad, kind of like Reese's peanut butter chocolates in a way. But if you have a peanut allergy, don't take it. 

Ok. I counted. It's more 11-9, but it's still huge.

3.Admire more than just the food.

 You can use your ticket to Epicurean Market grants you a free entry to CÉ LA VI
 club lounge which is perched on top of Marina Bay Sands, where you can treat yourselves to a gorgeous view of both the Marina and the City.

Also check out the babes at the infinity pool if that's your kinda thing.

This sums up the first part of my blog regarding this year's Epicurean Market 2017 at Marina Bay Sands. I hope this post was helpful and that you enjoyed the read!
Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts